Frequently Asked Questions
What timeframe can I expect?
There are of course a number of factors that determine timeframes, not least the size of your order, the level of detail you require and our current order workflow. But as a rough estimate please expect the following:-
Loose photos of less than 400 - 4 to 6 days
Loose photos of more than 400 - 5 to 8 days
Photo Albums (Standard Removal Service) - 5 to 8 days
Photo Albums (Professional Removal Service) - 6 to 11 days
Slides and Negatives less than 400 - 8 to 12 days
Slides and Negatives more than 400 - 10 to 14 days
DVD Slideshow - 5 to 8 days
* days are Working Days, and exclude bank holidays. Based on "Standard" level of scanning detail & JPG format.
** These timescales are subject to change and are generally beyond our control depending on demand. But you will be regularly notified when your order has reached the processing & completion stages.
How do I send my items to you?
Regardless of what you are sending it is vital that your precious photos, slides etc are well protected inside thick jiffy bags, or double walled cardboard packing boxes, with plenty of packing material inside so that your items won't move around during shipping. (Bubble wrap is preferred over loose polystyrene chippings). It may also help to write or add a label marked "Fragile" around your bag or box, along with plenty of tape prior to transit.
In terms of photo albums, obviously keeping the weight down will mean relatively cheaper delivery costs. So you may feel it more economical to remove the photos from your albums first, and place them into organised envelopes with labels describing what they are, and then placing them into packing boxes or large jiffy bags prior to shipping.
Simiarly with slides. We do have some customers posting them to us in plastic slide-holding boxes or carousels wrapped in brown packing paper. Quite often these boxes are damaged purely because they were not placed inside a secure packing box.
Therefore it maybe more prudent to remove the slides from the carousel and put them into organised envelopes (see above), and pack them in thick jiffy bags or cardboard boxes prior to shipping. (Or keep them in their plastic boxes but placing them securely inside packing boxes.)
As well as packing your items, please also include your order number reference and contact details. That way we will know who the owner is and what is required on delivery. It is also recommended that you write your name and address on the outside of the packing box in case of any queries during transit. Finally, we recommend you take out shipping insurance with the courier of your choice before sending them to us just for extra peace of mind.
Please note that our scanning service encompasses the UK mainland only. We currently do not take requests from overseas, although we hope to add this service in the not too distant future.
How is my order processed, and will I be kept informed with its progress?
- Register with us via the My Orders page by clicking the "Sign In" link, so as to keep track of your order(s). Simply enter your email address and a link will be sent to you.
- The Shopping Bag will keep a running inventory of what you have added. If you have made a mistake with something, just click the "X" next to the product and it will be removed from your cart. (It is important that you enter an accurate number of items that you are sending to us as any great discrepancies may result in delays.)
- When you have finished ordering read and click the "I agree with the T&Cs" box.
There are three payment options "Checkout", "PayPal Checkout" and "PayPal Credit". The latter two may requre you to have a PayPal account at the ready. (If you use either of these PayPal methods the transaction will take place immediately'.)
- If you prefer not to use PayPal at this point click "Checkout". Here you'll be asked for your contact details and the options of having the completed order despatched to you by Royal Mail or collecting it yourself by an appointed date.
- If you select "I'll pick it up myself" you will see a calendar which, if you click on it, will offer you availability dates at least 7 days hence. Select the date and time that suits you, but please remember this is just a guide. If we believe this may not be achievable we will let you know asap.
- If, on the other hand, you select "Ship to my Address" your finished goods will be delivered by Royal Mail's "Tracked 48"
- Choose your payment method: PayPal (Debit/Credit/Amex Cards) or Payment on Completion. For PayPal click one of the payment icons for your particular card, and follow the payment instructions. (You may need to create a PayPal account if you don't already have one.)
- "Payment on Completion", means you won't have to pay until we submit an invoice to you after the order is completed. (Subsequently only cheques and bank transfers will be accepted)
- Depending on your choice of payment, the payment will be authenticated during the order process, and on success you will receive an email acknowledging your order along with a customer order number that should be used in all correspondence for order tracking purposes.
- The confirmation email from us will also include our delivery address for you to send your package to. (Always check your spam/junk folders if you haven't received any updates from our mailbox of "email@example.com")
- Once fully completed and payments have been made, we will notify you by email to say that your original items will be returned by Royal Mail's "Tracked 48" service. Your digital images will also be returned by either Royal Mail, Dropbox, or for you to collect depending on which despatch option you specified during the checkout process.
Is there a minimum order you undertake?
We only accept minimum orders in excess of £1.00 (excluding P&P)
When do I pay and what payment options are available?
- Credit & Debit Cards - Visa, Mastercard, Amex. Offered during the checkout process.
- PayPal - A PayPal account is usually required during the checkout process.
- Payment on Completion - Payment is deferred until your order is complete and we issue you with an invoice.You will then have the option of paying by cheque or direct bank transfer.
Can I drop off and pick up my photos and slides?
If you live in the local area it will certainly be much cheaper and quicker to drop off your items to our office by hand. And likewise to collect them on completion of your order.
If you intend to drop them off we will need you to contact us by phone or email for an appointment 2 or 3 days prior to doing so.
The order processing stage offers a collection facility timetable for you to pick up your finished order
Do I have to count all the photos, slides etc I send to you?
It is very important that you count the number of loose photos, slides etc. prior to sending them to us.
During the ordering process on the My Orders page, you will be asked for various specific quantites against particular items you'll be sending to us. This will ultimately give you a clearer picture of how much the service will cost.
If there is a significant discrepancy between what you have ordered and the number actually delivered, we may have to reinvoice you the balance before starting work.
Therefore to prevent such delays, an accurate assessment of what you are sending us will be very welcome.
How does Dropbox work?
Rather than waiting 'x' number of days for your digital images & original photos to be returned via Royal Mail, Dropbox offers a far quicker and easier solution.
DropBox is a popular online file storage solution for people and businesses to share documents, photos & videos. But the beauty of Dropbox is that you can access your files from anywhere in the world and at any time of the day or night 24/7.
This is how it works should you choose this option:-
- We will create a temporary Dropbox directory where your digital images will be stored.
- We will add your email address to the Dropbox directory thus giving you shared permissions to access the folder.
- We will email you the Dropbox link,
- All you have to do is click the link and you should be able to access and download your digital images to your own devices.
- Please note: because this is an online service you will need to have access to the internet. Plus, when you start downloading your files to your device you may need to keep an eye on any data capping from your ISP/Phone network provider if you're using 4G/5G.
Your Dropbox directory will be active for 30 days. Your original albums, photos, slides etc will be returned to you via Royal Mail's "Tracked 48" delivery service.
Some of my photos and slides are in poor condition. Can they still be scanned?
If they are badly torn/scratched/blemished/stained etc. we will use our discretion and if possible endeavour to scan them. However, we cannot guarantee the final image will be satisfactory, even when processed through ICE and Photoshop. Any items that we cannot scan will be put to one side, and will credit your invoice accordingly.